SCOPE OF THE PROJECT
The project is designed to assist the MoAF and other stakeholders in the implementation of the EU acquis by providing support in the legal and institutional areas, as well as implementing concrete requirements of the Water Framework directive (WFD), in particular of the economic analysis, and water efficiency improvement instruments.
The Project comprises three main components as already mentioned.
RIVER BASIN MANAGEMENT PLANS FOR THE AKARÇAY, BATI AKDENIZ AND YEŞILIRMAK RIVER BASIN DISTRICTS
Under the scope of this Component 1, River Basin Management Plans (RBMP) for the Akarçay, Batı Akdeniz and Yeşilırmak River Basins will be developed. A RBMP summarises the state of the water environment, pressures affecting the water environment where its status is less than good, sets statutory objectives for river, lake, groundwater, transitional and coastal water bodies and summarises measures needed to achieve them. In other words, it is a plan on how the objectives set for a river basin (ecological status, quantitative status, chemical status and protected area objectives) are to be reached within the timescale required.
To develop the full scope of this Component 1 several activities have to be developed:
- Activity 1.1: Characterisation of the river basin districts required under Art. 5 and Annex II of the WFD.
- Activity 1.2: Analysis of significant pressures and the impact of human activity on the status of surface water and groundwater.
- Activity 1.3: Identify and map protected areas as required by Art. 6 and Annex IV of the WFD
- Activity 1.4: Review monitoring programs (surface and groundwater)
- Activity 1.5: Prepare a list of environmental objectives to be established under Art. 4 (surface water, groundwater and protected areas)
- Activity 1.6: Develop a baseline scenario for three related river basins
- Activity 1.7: Develop a Program of Measures (linked with Activity 2.3)
- Activity 1.8: Assist MoAF in the public information and consultation process (including preparation of web site).
- Activity 1.9: Organise workshops/trainings (at least 6) on the development of the RBMP.
- Activity 1.10: Consolidation of the RBMP documents.
ECONOMIC ANALYSIS AS REQUIRED BY THE WFD FOR THE AKARÇAY, BATI AKDENIZ AND YEŞILIRMAK RIVER BASINS
According to the Water Framework directive, there are basically two broad steps required to be implemented for the economic analysis:
- Characterising the river basin in terms of the economics of water uses, trends in water supply and demand and current levels of recovery of the costs of water services; and
- Supporting the development of the programme of measures to be integrated in the river basin management plans through cost-effectiveness analysis and justifying possible (time, objective) derogations from an economic point of view.
Aside covering those two mentioned steps, the economic analysis of water use must contain information in sufficient detail for the calculation of the recovery of costs of water services, the contribution of each water use to the total cost of water services and information for making judgements on the cost-effective combination of measures to be included in the programme of measures.
To develop the full scope of this Component 2 several activities have to be developed:
- Activity 2.1: Economic analysis of water uses as required under Art. 5 and Annex III of the WFD.
- Activity 2.2: Calculations necessary for taking the principle of costs recovery of water services (Art. 9 of the WFD).
- Activity 2.3: Cost-effective combination of measures to be included in the PoM under Art. 11 of the WFD.
- Activity 2.4: Assess the needs for cost-benefit analysis of the Programmes of Measures and perform cost-benefit analysis.
- Activity 2.5: Assess the socio-economic implications of the Programmes of Measures.
- Activity 2.6: Scan of economic analysis already conducted for 4 river basins and combination of results with the 3 basins.
- Activity 2.7: Draft a Guidance on the Economic Analyses in accordance with the WFD.
- Activity 2.8: Three workshops/trainings on the economic analysis.
WATER EFFICIENCY IMPROVEMENT IN TURKEY
As stressed in the Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions (A Blueprint to Safeguard Europe's Water Resources), water efficiency and vulnerability measures are expected to have positive impacts on ecological and chemical status of water bodies and vice versa.
There are basically three sectors where water efficiency improvements would mean a huge step forward in relation to the "health" of water resources: Municipal water supply and sewage management, Industrial water use and sewage management, and Agricultural water usage.
To develop the full scope of this Component 3 several activities will be developed:
- Activity 3.1: Municipal water supply and wastewater management efficiency and pricing.
- Activity 3.2 Industrial water management efficiency and pricing.
- Activity 3.3 Agricultural water management efficiency and pricing.
- Activity 3.4 Methodology on Pricing Drinking Water Supply and Waste Water Management.
- Activity 3.5 Feasibility studies with investment design packages on the improvement of water efficiency in 3 municipalities/areas.
- Activity 3.6 Draft Methodological Guide on Water.